Panganiban, named after one of the Bicol Martyra, Jose Ma. Panganiban, is situated at the Northern part of the island Province of Catanduanes. It is a peaceful town sandwiched on the northwest by Bagamanoc, on the southwest by Viga and farthest west by Caramoran.
Located at the outskirts of Panganiban is to Catanduanes Agricultural and Industrial College, one of the many technical colleges all over the country. She has quite a unique location being nestled by swaying palm trees, bordered by the hills of “Libudan” in the south and “Panaguican hill” in the east. A creek separated the school compound from the town proper. The national road passes through the school reservation, making her accessible to transportation facilities. Because of her good location, a great majority of the students come from the panganiban, Viga, Bagamanoc, and Caramoran.
PIONEERS AND THEIR WORK
The Panganibanons, are lucky to have a vocational school – the Catanduanes Agricultural and Industrial College, which started from a humble beginning. Historical record of the island shows that the post-war years of 1946-1947, was marked by an “educational hunger” in the northern part of the island. The people were really hungry for education. As a consequence, the Panganiban Junior High School was established. This was born out of the people’s need for education and their collective efforts under the able leadership of the late Mayor Sebastian Quintana, ex-mayor’s Ignacio Aquino and the late Florencio Cabrera. These efforts were also properly supported and coordinated by Mr. Iluminado de Castro, the Superintendent of Schools for Catanduanes then. Just upon her establishment, the first Parent Teacher Association was organized, with Mr. Ignacio Aquino as the president and the late Mr. Juan G. Bermudo the adviser and concurrently the principal of the school site. In the course of their negotiation of the site, classroom instructions were carried on in rented houses downtown.
The first school site was acquired through donations. Almost all sites in the present reservation of this school were acquired through government purchases. Among the notable donors of said site were: Messrs. Ignacio Aquino, Florencio Cabrera (deceased), Mateo Verceles (deceased), Florencio Frias (deceased), Jacinto Salvador (deceased), Adriano Estefa (deceased) and others. The program of land purchase is continuous.
LEGAL BASIS OF OPERATION
On July 7, 1974, the late Governor Remegio Socito of Catanduanes worked for the passage of Resolution (unnumbered) creating the Panganiban Provincial High School without any appropriation. This school operated on a self-liquidation basis, depending only on the tuition fees of eighty pesos from 57 second year and 235 first year students. This fee gradually increased by five pesos a year until students reached the fourth year. Proceeds from this fee were barely enough to maintain the operation of the school.
On May 17, 1952, Republic Act No. 705, sponsored by Congressman Severiano de Leon of Catanduanes, converted the Panganiban Provincial High School to Alicia Agricultural and Fishery School named in honor of the wife of the late President Elpidio Quirino. This Act carries an appropriation of P50, 000.00 (annually.)
On June 14, 1956, Republic Act No. 1429 converted Alicia Agricultural and Fishery School to Catanduanes Agricultural and Industrial School with an appropriation of P200, 000.00 annually. This Act was sponsored by the late Congressman Francisco Perfecto. By virtue of Republic Act No. 5422, sponsored by Congressman Jose M. Alberto, the above appropriation was increased to P250, 000.00 annually.
On September 1971, Republic Act No. 6130, converted Catanduanes Agricultural and Industrial School into a College with an appropriation of P500, 000.00 annually. Under Republic Act No. 6551 during the fiscal year 1972-1973 the appropriation was raised to P600, 000.00 for this purpose.
The above-mentioned conversions were made on the basis of the needs of the community and the time.
AS A COLLEGE
This college started to offer the following courses; Bachelor of Science in Agriculture with Agronomy and Animal Husbandry as majors and 3-year Trade Technical Curriculum on the second semester of 1971. She started with 14 regular students in the BSA and 6 students in the 3-year Trade Technical Curriculum. The 6 students of the Trade Technical Curriculum graduated in October, 1974.
In August 1974, the Two-Year Agricultural Technician Curriculum was opened with 15 students. This was opened by virtue of Circular No. 3 dated May 28, 1974.
By virtue of Circular No. 1 dated February 13, 1975, and upon an approved request dated May 20, 1975, the Superintendent Marino S. Binos, the graduate course leading to the Degree of Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Agriculture (MATEA) was approved starting the first semester of 1975-1976. This is operating on a self-liquidating basis. The first batch of enrollees in this course consisted of 73 graduate students. Likewise, approval to open a Teacher-Training Course, leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education (BSAEd) this school year, 1975-1976, was approved on August 4, 1975, by the Honorable Secretary of Education and Culture, Juan L. Manuel.
454total visits,2visits today