Dr. Jimmy T. Masagca
|Name:||Jimmy T. Masagca|
|Place and Date of Bith:||Virac, Catanduanes, PH, March 27, 1961|
- PhD/DSc by Research currently under review for admission at UP, CMU, JCU, DLSU Accepted for DPhil in Development Studies at Sussex University London, UK; Took Doctoral Units in PhD in Science Education (Biology) at De La Salle University-Manila; Acceptance from a Promotor, Dr. Dominique Adriaens of the Universiteit Ghent, Belgium for a Doctor of Science in Biology – Dissertation:
- PhD Studies in Science Education- Major in Biology, De La Salle University-Manila (Independent Study Topic: “Heterochrony in Osteichthyes: Gobiidae and Eleotridae”)
- Doctorate in Educational Management (EdD’1999)-Meritissimus.-Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation, Grade of 1.19 – Catanduanes State College (now Catanduanes State University) Dissertation: “Biodiversity, Utilization & Management of Mangrove Ecosystems”
- Master of Science in Biology (MSc 1992). De La Salle University-Manila. Thesis Sandwiched at SEAMEO-BIOTROP, Indonesia/Bogor Agricultural University Thesis Title: “Cytogenetics of marble sleeper, Oxyeleotris marmoratus from West Java, Indonesia”. Academics as PASUC Scholar (Philippine Association of State Universities & Colleges) & Research Fellowship in Fish Cytogenetics for Young Scientists in Southeast Asia with SEAMES-CIDA Funding of 15,000 US Dollars.
- Bachelor of Science Fish’1984). University of the Philippines (Visayas, Diliman Campus)-Recipient of the UP Grants –in-Aid & Scholarship Program; Elected as President/Chairman, College of Fisheries Student Council & Founding Member, UP Student Leaders Conference & KASAMA sa UP
- Catanduanes National High School/Ramon Avanceña High School- in Quiapo, Manila/ Winner in the Metro Manila Secondary Schools Press Conference (Depth News, Editorial Writing, PhotoJournalism)
- Virac Pilot Elementary School, Virac, Catanduanes-First Honor (Valedictorian) with General Weighted Average of “O” (Outstanding)
- Editor in Chief, Asia Pacific Journal for Island Sustainability. Academic Journal of the Catanduanes State University. ISSN
- Editorial Board Member, Elsevier European Ocean & Coastal Management, Netherlands ISI/Thomson and Scopus/SciDirect listed journal with 1.5833 Impact factor in SSI.
- Editorial Board Member, E-International Journal Science Consortium, India
- Editor, Journal of Biodiversity, Climate & Sustainability (BIOCLIMES) ISSN 2094-2540/e-ISSN 2094-2559
- Former Editor, CAS Journal of Research (CJR) p-ISSN 1908-5060, Catanduanes State University, Philippines
- Editor, Journal of Pedagogy, Technology & Synergy (JPTS)
- National Governing Board Director, Biology Teachers’ Association of the Philippines, Inc. (BIOTA) 2015-2017
- Presented Scientific Papers in Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Hong Kong, etc.
- Published 25+ scientific papers in international refereed journals and ISI/Thomson Listed publications
- Published 65+ papers in local journals, proceedings and 25+ popular publications
- Editorial Board Member, E-International Science Research Journal (India) (2010-present); International Journal of Biology (Canada), an international refereed journal (2009-present); Former Editorial Board Member, Journal of Philippine BIOTA (2005); and Former Editor, KAMALAYAN, The Journal of the Graduate School of Education, Arts & Sciences, De La Salle University-D, Cavite;
- Former Chief Editor GSEAS Graduate Journal of De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines (2001-2006);
- Reviewer, Science Journals International (SJI) (Minnesota, USA), Elsevier International Journal of Educational Development, Social Science Citation Indexed and ISI Thomson listed journal (Impact factor 0.81)
- Former Director, Office Graduate Research and Linkages, De La Salle University-Dasmarinas, Philippines; Former Assistant Executive Director for Planning and Development on Research Funding at De La Salle University-Dasmariñas, Philippines
- Received awards the Professorial Chair in Biology (Cytogenetics & Evolution); and International Research Publication Awards (3 awards)
- Performed Patent Search/Patent Claims Drafting at the Hechanova & Co., Inc. and trained at the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines under British and German Patent Specialists from the European Patent Office
Educational Planning, Research Methods, Thesis Writing, Advanced Aquatic Biology, Cytogenetics, Writing of Scientific Papers, Undergraduate Thesis Writing, Biological Research Methods, Marine Biology, Parasitology, Elementary Genetics
Catanduanes State University Graduate Studies – College of Education College of Arts and Sciences/Graduate Studies/Natural Sciences
- Thesis Writing
- Educational Planning
- Research Methods
De La Salle University-D Graduate School of Education, Arts & Sciences/College of Science/College of Education
- Postmodernism in Education (Doctoral)
- Knowledge Management in Education (Doctoral)
- Advanced Research Methods in Education (Doctoral)
- Dissertation Writing
- Bioresearch Methods
- Advanced Philosophical Foundations of Education
- Sociology in Education
Asmara University, Eritrea, Northeast Africa- Halai Comprehensive School & Integrated School
- Grade 12 Biology (Genetics & Evolution)
- Grade 11 Biology (Zoology & Botany)
- Grade 10 Biology (Cellular Biology)
Catanduanes State Colleges, College of Fisheries/College of Agriculture & Fisheries
- Fundamentals of Zoology
- Fish Parasitology
- Fish Physiology
- Fish Ecology
University of the Philippines-Open University Diploma in Science Teaching (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- Bio 4 Systematics and Evolution
- Bio 11 Genetics
- Bio 2 Morphology & Physiology
Current: Micro – Evolution in Pachychiliids (Jagora spp.), Biodiversity in Kurushio Region, Biostimulants from Syzygium and Moringa for Seed Germination in Indigenous Rice Cultivars (Oryza sativa), Marine Protected Areas (MPA), Mangrove Conservation, Typhoon Disaster & Emergency Science for Island Dwelling Communities, Social Capital & Innovation in Marine Conservation, Vincent Ferrerian Medieval Theory of Natural Supposition, Arboreal Climbing Mangrove Sesarmid/Grapsid Crabs (Sesarma, Parasesarma, Grapsus, Metagrapsus), Morpho-Taxonomy of Fresh Water Parathelphusids (Ovitamon spp.), Functional Morphology in Cranial Systems of Gobiidae and Eleotridae, Food Security & Biosecurity in Small Islands, , E-Flows & Biodiversity in Riverine Systems, Mangrove Biodiversity, Cytogenetics of Aquatic Organisms, E-learning & Pedagogy, Coastal Fisheries. Previous interests include Karyology of Oxyeleotris marmoratus, Bioethics, Concept Mapping in Teaching Biology.
Articles published in Refereed journals LISTED BY ISI/THPOMSON, SCIMAGO, CLARIVATE ANALYTICS, CITE FACTOR AND DOaj
- Masagca, J.T., Morales, M.I., Araojo, A.E., Sapico, S.R., Tribiana, E.T., & Mercado, M.B. (2018). Formulating an Early Stakeholder Involvement Plan for Marine Protected Areas (MPA) in Catanduanes Island, Philippines. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 18(1):131-142. (ISI/Thomson Listed journal Impact factor 0.98)
- Masagca, J.T. (2018). Stakeholder management in marine protected areas of Catanduanes Island, Philippines, Kuroshio Science (Japan), 12(1):63-71. (Scimago Listed/Citefactor)
- Masagca, J.T., Morales, M.I., & Araojo, A.E. (2018). Political ecology and social representations on inland fisheries and aquaculture in Catanduanes Island, Philippines. Kuroshio Science (Japan), 12(1):53-62. (Scimago Listed/Citefactor)
- Masagca, J.T. (2016). Modified decision support protocol for a small-scale multi-species marine fish hatchery of the Catanduanes State University, Philippines. AACL Bioflux 9(6):1336-1344. (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal)
- Aldea, K.Q., & Masagca, J.T. (2016).Climate change information and adaptation in Kuroshio Region’s vulnerable island. Kuroshio Science, 10 (1):89-103. (Scimago Listed/Citefactor)
- Aldea, K., Morales, M.I., Araojo, A.E., Masagca, J.T. (2015). Biodiversity in the Kuroshio Region: Challenges and trends in the upstream. Kurushio Science, 9(1):45-56.
- Masagca, J.T., & Ordonez, J.A. (2014). Karyomorphology of the Philippine rock goby, Glossogobius giuris (Gobiidae) from lake Taal and some rivers of Cavite, Luzon Island. Jimmy T. Masagca, Jose A. Ordonez.2017 BIOTROPIA – The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Biology. No 21
- Araojo, A.E., Masagca, J.T., Ibardaloza, E.T., Salih, D.DB., de Leon, C.G., & Lopez, M.M. (2015). Constructivist grounded theory approach in understanding couples’ perceived fairness of gendered division of labor: Implications on Marxist feminist approach and third wave feminist thought. International Journal of Social Science Studies, 3(5).
- Masagca J.T., Morales M.I., Araojo, A.E., De Leon C.G. (2014). Inputs for Restoring Mangroves in a Tropical Island Province for Climate Change Solution Programs. IAMURE International Journal of Ecology & Conservation, 12:54-
- Masagca, J.T., & Ordonez, J.A. II. (2013). Karyomorphology of the Philippine rock goby, Glossogobius giuris (Gobiidae) from Lake Taal. BIOTROPIA-Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Biology, (21): 11-18. www.biotrop.com (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal with Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T. (2011). Occurrence and descriptions of tree-climbing mangrove grapsid crabs from Quezon and Catanduanes, Luzon (Philippines). BIOTROPIA, South East Asian Journal of Tropical Biology, 18 (1) (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal with 4 Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T., Mendoza, A., & Tribiana, E.T. (2010). Status of mollusc diversity and physical setting of mangroves in Catanduanes, Luzon, Philippines. BIOTROPIA, Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Biology, 17(2):65-72. www.biotrop.com (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal with 9 Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T., M Xunxiang, & Masagca, M.T.. (2009). Enhancing governance of the Barangay in Luzon, Philippines: reflections of some academics on transparency and participation. Journal of Administration and Governance (JOAAG). (Australia). (with 4 Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T. (2009). Feeding ecology of the tree – climbing mangrove sesarmid crabs from Luzon, Philippines. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Biology, BIOTROPIA, 16 (1). www.biotrop.com (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal with 8 Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T., & Londerio, N. (2010). Teachers perspectives on the integration of information and communication technologies (ICT) in school counseling. International Journal of Education and Development Using ICT. Online Journal, 4 (4) Available at: http://www.ijedict.org.com (U West Indies) (Google Scholar with 9 Citations)
- Masagca, J.T. (2008). Occurrence and distributional range of mangrove flora in Catanduanes Island in Luzon, Philippines. BIOTROPIA – Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Biology (Indonesia), 15 (1). www.biotrop.com (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal with 4 Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T. & Ordonez J II. (2007). Chromosomes of the Philippine freshwater gudgeon, Ophieleotris aporos from Lake Taal. BIOTROPIA-The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Biology, 14(1):1-8. www.biotrop.com (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal with 4 Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T. (2006). Science teachers’ and coastal dwellers’ perceptions on mangrove biodiversity conservation/Percepciones de los maestros de ciencia y habitantes costeros sobre conservación de la biodiversidad de manglar. Revista de Educacion en Ciencias -Journal of Science Education,14(1)(Colombia). http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-978202641.html.
- Masagca, J.T. (2000). Karyology of the Southeast Asian marble sleeper, O. marmoratus. ASIA LIFE SCIENCES-Asian International Journal of Life Sciences, 9(2): 181-188 (July-December). www.biotrop.com (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal Citations in Google Scholar)
- Masagca, J.T., & Sumantadinata K. (1994). Chromosomal characters of the Indonesian sand goby, O. marmorata Blkr. 1874 (Eleotridae). BIOTROPIA – Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Biology, (7): 41-46. www.biotrop.com (ISI/Thomson Listed Journal with Citations in Google Scholar)iru.biotrop.org/irupages/biotropia/abstract/1994/abs75.htm http://fish.mongabay.net/O/Oxyeleotris_marmorata.shtml
- Masagca, J.T. (1993). Karyotypic differentiation among natural populations of sand goby, O. marmorata Blkr. 1874. (Teleostei: Eleotridae). BIOTROP Special Publication, (52): 39-40. http://fishbase.mnhn.fr/References/FBRefSummary.php?id=9218 [E-4.1- 78]
- Masagca, J.T. (1993). Karyotypic differentiation among natural populations of sand goby, O. marmorata Blkr. 1874. (Teleostei: Eleotridae). BIOTROP Special Publication, (52): 39-40. http://fishbase.mnhn.fr/References/FBRefSummary.php?id=9218 [E-4.1- 78]
- Masagca, J.T. (1991). A cytogenetic study of two populations of sand goby, Oxyeleotris marmorata Blkr. (Eleotridae: Perciformes) from West Java, Indonesia. Seameo Biotrop (Southeast Asian Regional Center for Tropical Biology. 76p. http://www.fishbase.com/References/FBRefSummary.php?id=9217
REFEREED Book Chapter and authorship in other books/proceedings
- Morales, M.I., Masagca, J.T., Araojo, A.E., & Vargas, S.R. (2014). Coastal and Mangrove Eco-Tourism in Catanduanes Island (Philippines): A Menace or a Bonus? International Conference on Latest Trends in Food, Biological & Ecological Sciences (ICLTFBE’14) July 15-16, 2014 Phuket (Thailand)
- Morales, M.I., Masagca, J.T. & Araojo, A.E. (2014). Experiencing the “West” in the ASEAN region: exploring and linking new universities in the Philippines with ASEAN universities using “Q-squared” approaches in research and learning for aquatic ecosystems sustainability. In: Wayne Nelles (Editor) Education for Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security in a Green ASEAN, Chulalongkorn University Press, Bangkok, Thailand. (Editor-reviewed.)
3. Masagca, J.T. et al. (2010). Proceedings of the First National Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME) in Catanduanes Island, Philippines. 21-22 October held at Capitol Dome/Catanduanes State Colleges, Virac, Catanduanes.
- Masagca, J.T. & Masagca, M.M.(2009). Distributional range of mangroves in Catanduanes island, Philippines: Inputs to biobelting and bioshielding program for typhoons, tidal surges and tsunamis. Proceedings of the 2009 PEMSEA East Asian Seas Congress. Manila, Philippines.
- Masagca, J.T.(2005). Fish Cytogenetics. The Chromosomes of Glossogobius giuris (Gobiidae) and Ophieleotris aporos (Eleotridae) from Lake Taal and Selected Rivers of Cavite, Philippines. (Under final evaluation and editing).
- Masagca, J.T. (Chief Ed.) (2003). PTECHS-Pedagogy, Technology and Synergism– Proceedings of a Regional Seminar-Workshop (Chief Editor). In CD-Rom.
- Masagca, J.T. (2002). Biodiversity of Mangroves: A View of the Mangroves in Catanduanes Island, Luzon Philippines. August Printing Press. Copyright.
PUBLICATIONS IN NON-REFEREED JOURNALS/BOOKS/PROCEEDINGS
- Morales, M.I., Masagca, J.T., Araojo, A.E., Tribiana, E.T., & Vargas, S.R. (2012). Managing rivers, estuaries and wetlands (REWs) of Catanduanes island (Luzon, Philippines) under the prospects of climate change: The case of Hinipaan in Bagamanoc CJR (CAS Journal of Research), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 7 (2):18-40.
- Morales, M.I., Masagca, J.T. Sonia R. Vargas, Estrella T. Tribiana, Aurora E. Araojo, Ma. Theresa E. Sarmiento Ma. Luz A. Floralde. (2012).Applying stakeholder theory in MPAs of the Philippines: taking a community protected marine space (CPMS) in San Andres, Catanduanes (Luzon) as an Example. CJR (CAS Journal of Research), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 7 (2):41-48.
- Morales, M.I., Masagca, J.T., Mendoza, A.V., & . Talan, L.F. (2012). A preliminary study on shelter, avoidance and risks of juvenile Portunid crabs of the genus Scylla. CJR (CAS Journal of Research), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 6 (2):
- Morales, M.I., Araojo, A.E., Masagca, J.T., Sorra, D.S., Floralde, M.L.A., Mercado, M.B., Tiu, M.C.V., & CSTIFDP Researchers. (2012). Introducing and Training Women Catanduanes on Fortified Tilapia Foods. CJR (CAS Journal of Research), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 7 (2):
- Morales, M.I., Masagca, J.T., Santelices, M.A., Vargas, S.R., Padilla, V.G., Tribiana, E.T. et al. (2012).. Design and preliminary dynamical analysis of fish cages for rivers and mountain streams to withstand strong typhoons in Catanduanes Island, Luzon, Philippines. CAS Journal of Research (CJR), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 6 (2)
- 2012. Morales, M.I., Masagca, J.T.,, Socorro T. Brillante, Perla A. Tolentino, Tribiana, E.T., Prolles, V.A. & Vargas, S.R. (2012). Gender analysis of livelihoods, capabilities and shocks in a marine protected area (MPA) of Catanduanes. CAS Journal of Research (CJR), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 6 (2)
- 2012. Angelica Torio, Jimmy T. Masagca & Estrella T. Tribiana.2012.. Cheliped Design and Mechanical Advantage of the Portunid Crabs, Scylla Serrata and S. olivacea. CAS Journal of Research (CJR), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 6(2):1-\10.
- 2012. Maristel D. Eustaquio & Jimmy T. Masagca. 2012. Taxonomic Description and Some Morphometric Characters of The Gastropod, Terebralia Sulcata Born, 1778 (Potamididae: Prosobranchia). CAS Journal of Research (CJR), Catanduanes State University, Philippines, 6(2): 11-19.
- 2012. Masagca JT. Records on the tree-climbing mangrove grapsid crabs of Quezon and Catanduanes (Luzon). Journal of Biodiversity, Climate Change and Sustainable Development, 1(1): 27-35. Proceedings of the 1st National Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME) in Catanduanes Island, Philippines held on October 21-22, 2010.
- 2010. Masagca JT, SR Vargas & ET Tribiana. A Summary Report of the First National Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME) in Catanduanes Island. Journal of Biodiversity, Climate Change and Sustainable Development, 1(1):6-7. Proceedings of the 1st National Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME) in Catanduanes Island, Philippines held on October 21-22, 2010.
- 2009. Masagca JT.Diagnostic features of the freshwater crab, Sundathelphusa philippina from Catanduanes, Philippines. Journal of Pedagogy, Technology & Synergy, 1(1).
- 2009. Masagca JT & De Belen JM. Online patent search on various machine inventions for abaca fiber processing. Journal of Pedagogy, Technology & Synergy, 1(1).
- 2009. Masagca JT, Liu Chun, Masagca MT. ICT use and application in Barangay governance: Reflections of academics from Luzon. Journal of Pedagogy, Technology & Synergy, 1(1).
- 2009. Masagca JT, Dionglay. Workable approaches in teaching Social Studies and ICT integration in crowded classrooms. Journal of Pedagogy, Technology & Synergy, 1(1).
- 2009. Masagca JT, Alarcon NI. Preference of the Philippine green mussel (“Tahong”), Perna viridis L. on Abaca or Manila hemp (Musa textilis) as substrate for larval settlement in outdoor experiments. Journal of Pedagogy, Technology & Synergy, 1(1).
- 2005. Masagca JT. Why do we have to talk about the integration of e-learning in teaching biology? Pedagogical and technological considerations. Philippine BIOTA, 38(1).
- 2004a. Masagca JT. Taxonomy and other biological characters of the Southeast Asian (SEA) Eleotridine Goby, Oxyeleotris marmorata Bleeker 1852 (Eleotridae: Perciformes). De La Salle University-D GSEAS Graduate Journal, 9(2): 109-116.
- 2004b. Masagca JT. A research update on the freshwater brachyurans of Southern Luzon Biogeographic Province. De La Salle University-D GSEAS Graduate Journal, 9(2): 131-134. Masagca JT. 2003a. A review of the Heterochrony principle. GSEAS Graduate Journal, Vol. 9 No.1: 87-110.
- 2000. Masagca JT. Models of the heterochrony principle in evolutionary biology. KAMALAYAN (Journal of the Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences, De La Salle University-Dasmariñas), 6(1): 38-48. (October).
- 2003. Masagca, JT. Proposed research agenda of DLSU-D Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences (GSEAS), 2003-2006. GSEAS Graduate Journal, 8(2):48-64.
- 2003. Masagca JT, ET Tribiana & LF Talan. Herpetofaunal biodiversity research problems for varanid and agamid lizards. GSEAS Graduate Journal, Vol. 9 No.1: 71-78.
- 2002. Masagca JT & NM Medina. Creating a new ecology of teaching at De La Salle University-D: The Partial Mode Distance Education (PMDE) program of GSEAS. De La Salle University-D GSEAS Graduate Journal, 8(2).
- 2002. Masagca JT & CZ Cuevas. Identification of a freshwater potamid, Ovitamon sp. novom? (Crustacea: Brachyura) from the forest streams of Mts. Palaypalay-Mataas na Gulod National park, Cavite, Luzon Island. De La Salle University-D GSEAS Graduate Journal (G2J), 7(2).
- 2001. Masagca JT. Teaching approaches in science/environmental education from a mangrove biodiversity study. GSEAS Graduate Journal (G2J). The Journal of Education, Arts and Sciences of De La Salle University-D, 7(1):28-40 (June-October).
- 2001. Masagca JT. Knowledge re-structuring through concept mapping (A classroom-based research). SINAG (De La Salle University-D Faculty Research Journal), 6(1): 115-123, January. http://www.dasma.dlsu.edu.ph/herald/faculty-research.htm
- 2001. Masagca JT. The mangrove vascular flora of Catanduanes Island in Bicol Region, Luzon. SINAG (De La Salle University-D Faculty Research Journal), 5(1), January.
- 1998. Masagca JT. Concept-Mapping in Eritrea: A Try-out in a Comprehensive Secondary School in Asmara City. Science Education Newsletter, British Council, United Kingdom (May 1998).
- 1996.Masagca JT. Physiognomic characters of a mangrove stand in Catanduanes. Catanduanes State Colleges Graduate School Journal, Vol. XXII, pp. 18-21.
- 1995. Masagca JT. Bioethical issues and problems on some reproductive technologies and Surrogate Motherhood. Catanduanes State Colleges Graduate School Journal, Vol. 20:30-34.
- 1993. Masagca JT. Ecological planning and management of coastal ecosystems in Catanduanes towards sustainable development in the year 2000. CSC Graduate School Journal, Vol. XIX, pp. 22-29. (December).
- 1988.Masagca JT.Strategies for the delivery of community outreach programs of the Catanduanes State Colleges. Catanduanes State Colleges Graduate School Journal. Pages 18-21. Vol. XIII. (December).
- 1988. Masagca JT. Salient points on fishery education. Catanduanes State Colleges Magazine, The Mirror, Vol. 1 No. 1.
- 1987. Masagca JT. Tolerance of mullet, Liza melinptora on various saline conditions. Catanduanes State Colleges Research Digest, Vol. 1 No.2.
COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY MANAGEMENT BACKGROUND
- Director, Research & Development Services, Catanduanes State University, Philippines (2016 – Present)
- Officer-in-Charge (Acting Dean), College of Fisheries & College of Agri-Fisheries in Palnab, Catanduanes State Colleges (3 years SY 1986-1988)
- Administrative Assistant/Assistant Dean, Graduate School of Education, Arts & Sciences, De La Salle University-Dasmarinas (5 years)
- Director for Graduate Research & Linkages, De La Salle University-Dasmarinas (2 years)
- Assistant Executive Director for Planning & Development in Research Funding, De La Salle University-Dasmarinas (1 year)
- College President, San Jose Colleges/San Jose Christian Colleges in San Jose City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines (5 years)
- Educational Management Consultant, Eulogio Amang Dizon College (formerly Corregidor College) in Guimba, Nueva Ecija (1 year)
- President & Co-Owner, Pacific Island Institute for Pedagogy, Technology, Arts & Sciences, Inc. (2 years)
- Trustee, Institute of Studies for Intellectual Property, Inc. (ISIP)
- Patent Specialist, Hechanova & Co., Inc. Trademark, Patents, Copyrights
SPECIAL TRAININGS IN SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, EDUCATION, TECHNICAL-VOCATIONAL SCHOOL MANAGEMENT
1. Science & Technology and Environmental Management
- 2018. Training (Competitive) on Trainors for Basic Research Methodologies in Health Research. DOST PCHRD. Hotel Jen, Manila, December 4-6, (On scholarship)
- 2017. Training of Trainers in Mangrove and Beach Forest Rehabilitation and Conservation. Zoological Society of London-Philippines 7-11 November 2017.
- 20??. Training Course on Patent Search, Intellectual Property Office (IPO) Philippines.
- Training Course on Drafting of Claims, IPO Philippines and EPO (European Patent Office);
- Faculty Training Program on Information Technology (Macromedia Dreamweaver-Basic Topics), March 1. De La Salle University-D Information Technology Center;
- Short Training in Online Course Management. Philippine Association of Centers for Educational Media and DLSU-Manila;
- Training Course on the Use of Laboratory Equipment for Faculty and Laboratory Technicians. De La Salle University-D – College of Science Research Laboratory, Cavite. (October 19-22) (8 hours);
- Training Course on Light Microscopy and Photomicrography. University of the Philippines Natural Science Research Institute in Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines (May 6-10);
- 1988. Training Course on Environmental Planning and Management. Sponsored by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), and Mariano Marcos State University, Batac, Ilocos Norte, Philippines (April 25- May 20);
- 1993 Basic Computer Systems and Basic Computer Programming I. Data Pro Computer School, Manila. January 7, 1993;
- 1992 *Training Course on Coastal Zone Management with Emphasis on Brackishwater Aquaculture. SEAMEO-BIOTROP, Indonesia (1992), Observer;
- Training Course on Fish Genetics and Its Applications to Aquaculture and Fisheries; (10) Management. SEAMEO-BIOTROP, Indonesia, Facilitator;
- 1991. Training Course on Fish Health Management in Aquaculture. SEAMEO-BIOTROP in Bogor, Indonesia (April 30 – May 31) (Philippine Delegate);
- 1988 Official Philippine Representative. 16th Training Course on Development Strategies and Planning for Farmers Community (DSPFC). Held at UP in Los Baños and Kasetsart University in Bangkok, Thailand (January 19- February 26)
- 1987 Training Course on Prawn Culture. Technology Livelihood and Resource Center, Manila, Paying Participant
Education, School Management & Tech-Voc Education
- Training on Trainers Methodology I for TVET, TESDA Provincial Office, Region 5 (May);
- Training on Assessment Methodology I for TVET, TESDA Provincial Office, Region 5 (June);
- Learner, Online Training Course Program at Philippine Normal University and SEAMEO INNOTECH on LEARNTECH eXCELS (Learning and Technology Excellence in School Leadership for Southeast Asian);
- 2001. Certificate Training Program in Early Childhood Education and Special Education. Lasallian Institute for Development and Educational Research (LIDER) and De La Salle University-D. December 2000-February, 2001;
- Tutors Training Course for Diploma in Science Teaching. University of the Philippines at Los Baños, Laguna; Tutors Training Program II for Diploma in Science Teaching Program via Distance Education.University of the Philippines OPEN University, UP at Los Baños, Laguna. (March 25-April 1).
SCHOLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
Awards & Recognition
2018. Best Research Paper Presenter Award from Asian Intellect for Academic Organization and Development Inc. during the 1st Gender and Development Competition and Conference in Research and Education (GADCCIRAC 2018) held at the Crown Legacy Hotel in Baguio City, Philippines on December 17-19, 2018.
2018. Best Paper Award during the 5th International Conference on Integrative Disaster Risk Reduction Management held on September 4-6, 2018 at the Eastern Samar State University, Borongan City, Eastern Samar, Philippines. “Ensuring the Future of Small Islands in the Philippines through SURMABIOCON* – An Integrative Model of Fisheries and Mangrove Resource Management for Disaster Risk Reduction in the Typhoon – Prone Island of Catanduanes”.
2018. Certificate of Appreciation & Recognition from Caritas Virac Justice & Peace Inc. and the Steering Committee for the 2018 Alay Kapwa National Launching for Luzon Region, gratefully acknowledge with deep appreciation the inspiring support and invaluable assistance to the Diocesan Affairs on February 12 to 14, 2018.
2018. Uswag Award Best Paper (Science and Technology Category) “The coastal vegetation of Catanduanes island (Philippines) through time: Assessing the mangrove flora and threatened beach forest species from 1999-2018 in the coastal town for conservation and restoration initiatives”. 2018 CSU Annual In-House Review of Completed Researches held at CSU Accreditation Room, November 7, 2018.
2018. 3rd Best Paper Award of William Medrano – Philippine Association of Research Managers, Inc. Title of Paper – “Gains from a research and development management model for a green university” 3rd International Research, Development and Extension (RDE) Management Congress & 28th National PHILARM Convention held from July 31 to August 3, 2018 at Crown Regency Residences, Cebu City, Philippines.
Travel Fellowship Award
2017. Travel Scholarship. Kuroshio Science Symposium, Kochi University in Japan
2016. Fellowship for 19th World Malacology Congress, final confirmation in Penang, Malaysia
2014. SEAMEO – SEARCA Travel Fellowship Award for Southeast Asian Academics to Turkey & Phuket, Thailand
2013. Travel Fellowship to ASEAN Symposium at Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
2012. Fellowship Award to attend 1stASEAN Congress on Mangrove Research & Development, 3-7 December, Century Park & Subic Bay, Philippines;
2010. Travel Fellowship Award. 13th International Riversymposium, Australia. International Riverfoundation/AUSAID; 2008. Travel Fellowship for EMECS in Thailand;
2007. Book Purchase Travel Award for Singapore; Certificate of Recognition; 1992. Recipient of Travel Fellowship, awarded by SEAMEO BIOTROP for the Symposium on Fish Genetics held in Bogor, Indonesia. (Dec. 6-13, 1992);
1992. Recipient of Travel Fellowship, awarded by the Asian Network for Biological Sciences (ANBS) and National University of Singapore (NUS) for paper presentation during the 3rd Asian Fisheries Forum World Trade Centre, Republic of Singapore (Oct.21-31, 1992);
1991. First and Second Research Fellowship & Scholarship Awards at SEAMEO-BIOTROP L Long–Term Fellowship in Research Methodologies in Aquatic Biology & Fish Cytogenetics.
International Research Publication Awards
2007, 2008, 2009. International Research Publications Awards. De La Salle University-D
2002-2003. First Professorial Chair in Biological Sciences at the Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences (GSEAS), De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines. 2nd Semester, SY 2002-2003.
Recognition. as Researcher and Administrator
2002. Researchers for a classroom-based research on concept-mapping. Given at De La Salle University-D; Plaque of Commendation. Awarded by San Jose Christian Colleges, San Jose City during the 55th Commencement Exercises, March 20, 2002;
2001. Recognition (as Teacher Volunteer of Balik-Aral Program). College of Education, De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines. March 9, 2001;
2001. Recipient of Gold Medalion. Full Professorship. De La Salle University-D, Cavite. (2001)
Scholarship for a Degree and Non-Degree Course
1989-1992. Philippine State Colleges and Universities (PASUC) Scholarship Program for Masters Degree.
1988. Scholarship Training on 16th Development Strategies Program for Farmers Communities (DSPFC), Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study in Agriculture (SEARCA) held at UP Los Baños and Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand;
1979-1984. Grantee. University of the Philippines (UP) Grants in Aid Program for B.S. Degree.
Acceptance for Further Studies
(2002) Accepted (with Scholarship) in the International Postgraduate Course on Mangroves. Gund Institute of Ecological Economics, University of Vermont, USA; (1999). Place offered as Independent Distant Research Student Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) in Development Studies. Centre for the Comparative Study of Culture, Development and Environment (CDE)/School of African and Asian Studies, Sussex University at Brighton, United Kingdom Dissertation Topic: Ecology and Sustainability of Mangrove Ecosystems in the Eritrean Red Sea (NE Africa) and The Philippines (SE Asia). Primary Advisor: Dr. Rendel Williams, Geography Laboratory Secondary Advisor: Dr. Tony Binns, Director of CDE. (Discontinued due to inavailability of grants);
1997. Offered in the Distance Doctorate Program (Education Administration. La Salle University, Louisiana, USA. With an offer of the “La Salle Presidential Scholarship”. Applicant Number 126634;
1996. Accepted in the Laboratory of Dr. John Benzie, Mariculture and Genetics, Australian Institute of Marine Sciences (AIMS). Townsville, Australia.
Funded research projects (Total= 25+)
- 2017-2018. Co-Researcher. MR. SUAVE. DARE Project with the Commission of Higher Education (CHED).
- 2017-2019. CHED SURMABIOCON CHED NAFES.
- 2017-2018. CHED IDIG
- CSTIFDP of CSU with 8 studies
- CIRDEP of CSU with 8 studies.
- 200? Salinity tolerance of the striped mullet, Liza melinoptera (supported by the Catanduanes State Colleges Research Office and College of Agri-Fisheries);
- Bio-physico-chemical characteristics of the mangroves in Palnab-Pajo Virac, Catanduanes (funded by the Catanduanes State Colleges Research Office through the Countryside Development Fund of the Philippine Senator Raul Roco);
- Cytogenetics of ‘ikan betutu’ (sand goby), Oxyeleotris marmoratus (Teleostei: Eleotridae) from Cirata Reservoir, West Java (SEAMEO-CIDA BIOTROP Research Fellowship funding, Indonesia);
- Karyomorphology of the Asiatic goby, Oxyeleotris marmoratus from the large islands of the Indo-Malayan Region (Java, Sumatra, Borneo/Kalimantan) (SEAMEO-CIDA BIOTROP Research Fellowship for Young Scientists in SEA);
- Use of Concept-Mapping and Modified Bio-Molecular Models of DNA/RNA in Teaching Secondary School Biology in Asmara City, State of Eritrea, Northeast Africa (supported by the Ministry of Education Central Office, Asmara); (6)
- Cytogenetics of Selected Freshwater Fishes of Cavite and Lake Taal (Funded by De La Salle University-D University Faculty Research Office), with Dr. Jose Ordonez II (deceased);
- Freshwater Brachyuran Crabs of Southern Luzon, Philippines (Funded by the De La Salle University-D University Faculty Research Office);
- Occurrence of Mangrove Crabs and Observations on the Feeding Ecology of the Families Grapsidae and Sesarmidae (Funded by De La Salle University-D University Faculty Research Office); (8) Restructuring knowledge through Concept-Mapping in teaching University Biology for Non-Science Majors (supported by the College of Education, De La Salle University-D Institutional Research Office);
- Role of Women and Children in the Bivalve (Mussel) Aquaculture in Cavite, Philippines (funded by the Graduate School of Education, Arts & Sciences (GSEAS), De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines);
- Governance of the Basic Political Unit (BPU) or the Barangay in the Philippines: (11) Transparency and Community Participation (funded by GPM COBAHAI Multipurpose Cooperative);
- Teachers’ Journey in Educational Justice (funded by GPM COBAHAI Cooperative and Pacific Island Institute for Pedagogy, Technology, Arts & Sciences);
- SURMABIOCON, Sustainable Resources and Mangrove Biodiversity Conservation Project Trials on Biobelting/Biowalling with Mangroves (supported by Pacifictech);
- Political Ecology of Marine Protected Areas (MPA): Case of Agojo Fish Sanctuary and Marine Park in San Andres and Batalay, Bato, Catanduanes (partial funding from GPM COBAHAI);
- Project on Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME) 2010 in Catanduanes Island Project (supported by Hechanova & Co., Pacifictech, Catanduanes State Colleges, Office of the Congressional District of Catanduanes and Office of the Governor
AFFILIATION AND MEMBERSHIP TO ORGANIZATIONS
National Governing Board Director, Biology Teachers Association of the Philippines (BIOTA) Philippines, Inc. 2015-2017.
President, CSU – Catanduanes Island Chapter of Biology Teachers Association of the Philippines (BIOTA) Philippines, Inc.
Member, International Union of the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Commission on Education and Communication (CEC) for South East Asia (Switzerland); International Varanid Interest Group (based in the USA); Fisheries Research Society of the Philippines; Research and Education Training Institute (REDTI); International Goby Society (USA); Malacological Society of the Philippines; Philippine Association of Agricultural Educators and Science Club Advisers of the Philippines (PASSAGE); Lions Club International Las Piñas (Host) District 301-A; Global Educators Network; Philippine Association of Graduate Education (PAGE); Philippine Association for Teacher Education (PAFTE); Wildlife Conservation Society of the Philippines (WCSP)
Past Member, Network of Tropical Aquaculture Scientists (NTAS) of ICLARM (based in Malaysia); Asian Fisheries Society;
Past Officer, Biology Teachers Association of the Philippines, Inc., National Governing Board (2003-2005) as Director; Vice President, Management Center for Sustainable Technology and Development, Inc; Provincial Executive Director, Kaibigan ng Kalikasan (Friends of the Environment), Inc.; Elected Provincial Chair, Earthsavers Movement Inc.; Member, Lupon ng Tagapamayapa (Peace Officer), Barangay Gogon Centro, Virac, Catanduanes; Resident Member, University of the Philippines (UP) Writers Club; President, Graduate School Students Association, Catanduanes State Colleges; Vice President, De La Salle University-D College of Science Faculty Association, (1999-2000); Vice President, Catanduanes State Colleges College of Arts and Sciences) Faculty Association
SPEAKERSHIPS, PAPER PRESENTATIONS AND ATTENDANCE TO FORUMS/SEMINARS/CONFERENCE
Active Contribution, oral and poster presentation (international meetings)
- 2018. Cebu City
- 2015. PSSN International Conference on Nature, Clark, Pampanga. (Philippines).
- 2014. International Conference on Latest Trends in Food, Biological & Ecological Sciences (ICLTFBE’14) July 15-16, 2014 Phuket, Paper: Coastal and Mangrove Eco-Tourism in Catanduanes Island (Philippines): A Menace or a Bonus? http://dx.doi.org/10.17758/IAAST.A0714028 (Thailand).
- 2015. 3rd PUP International Conference in Subic Freeport, Olongapo City, Philippines on 2-5 December 2015 Pedagogical and Technological Considerations In Hybrid/Blended Learning. (Philippines).
- 2013. International Conference on Harnessing Environment-friendly Technologies on Waste Utilization. Dec. 6, 2013 Bicol University, Legaspi City, Philippines. Paper: Initiatives Towards a Green University: The Experience of Catanduanes State University (CSU) (Creating an Ecoville University in the Philippines). (Philippines)
- 2010 13th International Riversymposium, October 11-14 Perth, Australia. Paper: Do we value rivers? (Australia)
- 2009International Congress of East Asian Congress, November 23-27, 2009. Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), Manila. (Philippines).
Mangrove Biodiversity in Catanduanes: Inputs to Biobelting/Biowalling. PEMSEA East Asian Seas Congress. PICC, Manila. (Philippines).
- 2008 ASAIHL Conference, Dec 12-14, Universiti Sains Malaysia *Reflections of selected teacher educators and school administrators in the Philippines on the re-engineering of small institutions of HIL.. (Malaysia).
- 2003Mangrove International Conference on Mangroves, May 20-23, Bahia, Salvador, Brazil. www.mangrove2003.ufba.br/sessoesorais.htm Paper: Biodiversity, Community-Based Rehabilitation and Educational Initiatives for the Conservation of Mangroves in Catanduanes Island, Philippines. (Brazil).
- 2003 6th International Conference on the Environmental Management of Enclosed Coastal Seas (EMECS 2003). Nov. 18-21, 2003. Montien Riverside Hotel, Bangkok. Thailand. Title of Paper: Science teachers’ and coastal dwellers’ perceptions on mangrove biodiversity conservation. (Thailand)
- 1992 Symposium on Fish Genetics and Its Application to Fishery Management held in Bogor, Indonesia. Title of Paper: Karyotypic differentiation among natural populations of sand goby, Oxyeleotris marmorata from the Indo-Malayan region. (December 8-10) (Indonesia)
- 1992 Symposium on Coastal Zone Management: With Emphasis on Brackishwater Aquaculture held in Bogor, Indonesia (March 2-4) (Indonesia).
- 1992. *Symposium on the Taxonomy of Tropical Trees for Genetic Diversity Studies held in Bogor, Indonesia. (May 5-7). Philippine Participant. (Indonesia).
- 1992. *Symposium on Fish Health Management, Bogor, Indonesia. (May 14-16). Philippine Participant and Rapporteur. (Indonesia).
- 1992. *Symposium on Integrated Pest Management Control Component held at Ciawi, West Java, Indonesia. Observer; Seminar on “Jurusan Geomatic Universitas Laval (Canada) dan Perkembangan Ilmu dan Teknologi untuk Monitoring Sumber Daya Alam”. SEAMEO-BIOTROP, Bogor, August 21. (Indonesia).
- 1991. Seminar on: “Lokakarya Sumatera, Lingkungan dan Pembangunan: Yang Lalu, Sekarang Dang Yang Akan Datang”. SEAMEO BIOTROP Bogor, Indonesia. (September 16-18). (Indonesia)
- 1991. *3rd Asian Fisheries Forum, World Trade Center in Singapore. Title of paper: Karyomorphology of sand goby and some notes on the reservoir fisheries in West Java, Indonesia. (October 26-30) (Singapore).
- 2014. 1st National R&D Forum on Across Disciplines: Establishing Synergy for Sustainable Development, 9-11 April 2014, organized by the Dr. Emilio B. Espinosa, Sr. Memorial State College Of Agriculture And Technology (DEBESMSCAT) Cabitan, Mandaon, Masbate, Philippines Papers: Revisiting The Medieval Logic Of St. Vincent Ferrer Through Journal Publishing and a Child Minding Research & Development Initiative (Childminds); Body Measurements Of Monitor Lizard Collections Of The Catanduanes State University, Indigenous Trapping Designs And Sightings In Bato, Catanduanes, Luzon (Philippines); Germination Ability of Selected Indigenous Rice Cultivars From Catanduanes Island, Bicol Region, Luzon (Philippines)
- 2012. 3rd Philippine National Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME) & 2012 National Conference on Water and Biodiversity (NCWB), October 201-22, 2012. Plenary Lecturer.
- 2011. 2nd Philippine National Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME 2011) in Catanduanes Island, Philippines October 19-21. (Convenor). A Partnership with Catanduanes State Colleges and Pacifictech; National Conference on Science, Education and Technology (SEDTEC), October 19-21, 2011. (Registrar).
- 2010. First National Biodiversity Meeting (BIOME) 2010 in Catanduanes, Convenor and Paper Presenter;
- 2006 28th National Academy of Science and Technology annual Scientific Meeting at Manila Hotel. (Poster Paper Presentor);
- 2006 IPO Seminar on Patent Documentation and Search. IPO Makati City April 4-6; PTECHS National Seminar on Promoting Technology in Education, Culture, History and Sciences. January 20-21. DAP Tagaytay City;
- 2003. National Research Forum on Educational Technology: Breaking Classroom Barriers. September 10-12, 2003 Supreme Hotel, Baguio City. Title of Paper: “PTECHS and eLearning Initiatives @ DLSU-D: Blending and Balance.( Resource Speaker);
- 2002 Ecology of Teaching and school management. 5th National Research Forum, REDTI. January 30-February 1;
- 2000 16th Scientific Meeting of the National Academy of Science and Technology Diversity of the molluscan gastropods, Terebralia sulcata and Cerithidea cingulata in two mangrove areas in Catanduanes, Bicol Region. Transactions of the National Academy of Science and Technology Philippines Vol. 22, Abstract only p. 243;
2004 ASAIHL Conference 2004 on Regional Cooperation in Higher Education. May 17-19. Lingnan University, Hong Kong. Title of Paper: Integration of e-Learning (eL) at De La Salle University-Dasmariñas, Philippines Through a Portal System to Enhance Academic Community Collaboration. With V.L. de Leon and N. M. Genova;
39th Annual National BIOTA Convention and Scientific Sessions held at Northwestern University, Laoag City, April 1-3. Title of Paper: Why do we have to talk about the integration of e-learning in teaching biology? Pedagogical and technological considerations. (Plenary Speaker);
2002 1st National eLearning Conference in the Philippines Manila Hotel, August 1-2. Paper: Creating a New Ecology of Teaching at De La Salle University-D: The Partial Mode Distance Education (PMDE) Program of GSEAS. http://www.elearning.ph/conference1/abstracts10.html ; 5th National Research Forum of the Research and Education Training Institute, Inc. (REDTI), JICA Hall, Department of Agriculture, Diliman, Quezon City. Papers: (1) Ecology of Teaching and School Management in an Era of Globalization. (2) Fish Chromosomes: Their Use in Cytotaxonomy & Genotoxic Testing. (January 30-February 1). Plenary Speaker.
2001 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting, National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Manila Hotel, July 11-12. Paper: Chromosomes of Gobies from Lake Taal, Luzon Island. Poster Paper Presentor;
2001. 2nd Philippine National Symposium on Research in Teacher Education. University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines, February 21, 2001 Paper: Teaching approaches in science/environmental education from a mangrove biodiversity study. (Concurrent Paper Presenter);
2000. 22nd Annual Scientific Meeting, National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) held at Manila Hotel, Intramuros, Manila. Paper: Diversity of the molluscan gastropods, Terebralia sulcata and Cerithidea cingulatum in two mangrove areas of Luzon Island. (July 5-6). Poster Paper Presentor (No. 40);
2000. 9th Philippine Vertebrate Symposium and 2000 Scientific Meeting held in Tagaytay City, Cavite. Paper: Species composition and abundance of mangrove-associated ichthyofauna in Catanduanes Island, Luzon. (April 10-12). Resource Speaker;
2000. 35th Annual Conference of Biology Teachers Association of the Philippines, Inc. held at University of San Agustin, Iloilo City. Title of Paper: Using concept mapping as an approach to biology teaching. (April 6-8). Workshop Paper Presentor;
1999 21st National Academy of Science And Technology Annual Scientific Meeting held at the Manila Hotel, Intramuros, Manila, July 8-9. Papers: (1). Diversity of mangrove vascular flora and macrofauna in mangal communities of Catanduanes, (2) Attitudes toward biodiversity of mangroves among coastal dwellers in Catanduanes. (Poster Paper Presentor);
1999. 34th BIOTA Conference and Seminar Workshop Centro Escolar University, Manila, April 8-10. Paper: Mangrove surveys for biodiversity conservation education in Virac, Catanduanes. (Poster Paper Presentor);
1998 Eritrean Central Region (Zoba Maakel) Seminar-Workshop on Biology Teaching held at Keih Bahri Comprehensive Secondary School, Asmara City, State of Eritrea, Northeast Africa, March 21. Topic: The use of concept-mapping and simple models in teaching biology for Eritrean Secondary Schools;
- 1997 Some ecological, exploitation and managerial aspects of Bato River. Transactions of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), DOST Vol XIX. (Abstract only, p. 444) ;
- 1996. 16th Scientific Meeting of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) of the Philippines in Iloilo City. Papers: (1) Gamat: a promising root crop from Bicol Region, Philippines (co-author with E.T. Tribiana and E. Gianan) and (2) Environmental study of Gogon River, Catanduanes: Water quality and litter analysis (co-author with ET Tribiana). (July 6-8). Poster Paper Presentor;
1995 30th National Conference and Seminar-Workshops of the Biology Teachers Association of the Philippines (BIOTA) held at the Philippine Science High School, Quezon City, Philippines. Paper: A method for studying fish chromosomes applicable to teaching and research. (April 6-8). Lecturer in the Seminar-Workshop;
Active Contribution, oral and poster (regional marked with*and local meetings)
2017. Bicol Regional Health Research Forum. BUCN, Nov. 29,2011. Paper presented: Potential anti-angiogenic preparation of “makahiya”, Mimosa pudica aqueous root extract using 10-day old duck embryo eggs (student-faculty paper, 3rd place).
2011 14th BIOFORUM, Catanduanes State Colleges, Virac, Catanduanes Topic: Value of rivers in the Philippines; 2011 In-House Review of Completed Researches. Catanduanes State Colleges, Virac, Catanduanes (Research Evaluator);
2010 Research Training, Catanduanes State Colleges, Virac, Catanduanes;
2008 DLSU Manila and Osaka University Academic Research Seminar, September 1 to 3, 2008 at DLSU Manila, Taft Avenue; ASAIHL Echo-Seminar. September 19. Jose Rizal University, Mandaluyong City;
2008 2nd CALABARZON Research Council Forum, Porto Fino Hotel Batangas City, October 23-24, 2008. Title of Papers: Teachers perspectives on the integration of ICT in school counselling/Tree-climbing mangrove Sesarmid crabs of Pagbilao, Quezon and Catanduanes, Philippines; AHEIR and University of Perpetual Help of Rizal 2008 Research Forum. March 12, 2008. Title of Paper: New reports on the freshwater crabs of Southern Tagalog;
2008 UFRO Research Forum. De La Salle University-D College of Education. September 10, 2008. Alumni Auditorium. Paper: Occurrence of mangrove crabs and observation on the feeding ecology of some taxa of the families Grapsidae partim MCLEAY (1838) and SESARMIDAE sensu SCHUBART et al. (2002) from selected mangals in Luzon, Philippines; *Research Forum, AHEIR and University of Perpetual Help of Rizal DALTA System. March 12, 2008. Paper: The Freshwater Crabs of Southern Luzon, Philippines;
2006 8TH Science and Technology Congress. March 8, 2008 De La Salle University-Manila. Paper Presentor.New Records of Endemic Potamid Brachyuran Crabs From Cavite And Catanduanes Island, Luzon, Philippines;
2004 *8th Biology Teachers’ Association (BIOTA) Philippines Regional Convention and Scientific Sessions in Zamboanga City. Ateneo de Zamboanga University. Nov. 18-19. Topic: Improving Research in the Biological Sciences. Plenary Speaker;
2003 Seminar Sponsored by the University Faculty Research Office. June 26 held at Luis Aguado Viewing Room. Title of paper: Cytogenetics of G. giuris and O. aporos from Lake Taal and Some Rivers of Cavite (with Dr. Ordonez II);
2002 Seminar on Retooling Thesis/Dissertation Writing & Research Agenda Formulation. De La Salle University-D. (July 27). Resource Speaker;
2001 De La Salle University-D College of Education Echo-Seminar on the National Research Forum. (November 19). Invited Speaker; Seminar on Teaching Science to Develop Thinking Skills of Students. Attended by Faculty Members of the Physical Sciences Department, College of Science held last held at the Aklatang Emilio Aguinaldo, De La Salle University-D. (February 5). Resource Speaker; DLSU-D Presentation of Action Researches. Title of Paper: Re-structuring knowledge through concept mapping (An action research for biology teaching in the non-science programs). Paper Presenter; Science and Technology Week Celebration of De La Salle University-D held at Don Severino de las Alas Hall. (July 25).
1999 Science & Technology in the Next Millennium, S & T Week, De La Salle University-D, Cavite Philippines (July 23). Resource Speaker; Seminar on the Preparation of Tests. College of Science, De La Salle University-D, Cavite. Resource Speaker;
1996 2nd Annual Career and Course Orientation of the University of the Philippines Catandungan held at San Andres Vocational School, Oct. 28-31. Topic: Biology education: Issues and prospects.( Resource Speaker);
1995 Science Congress of the Philippine Society of Youth Science Club-Catanduanes State Colleges Chapter Laboratory School. (July 21-22). Judge; Catanduanes State Colleges In-House Review of On-going and Completed Researches, CSC, Virac, Catanduanes. (July 11). Presentor;
1994. *7th Regional Symposium on R and D Highlights held at Bicol University July 27-28. Paper: Structure of mangroves in Virac, Catanduanes.(Paper Presentor);
1994 Seminar-Workshop on Research Findings and Environmental Planning and Managementheld at the Catanduanes State Colleges. Topic: Management of protected areas and conservation of endangered and threatened species/coastal zone management. (Dec. 5). Invited Speaker
1993. 3rd Provincial Plenary Session of PYSC-Catanduanes Colleges Chapter. Topic: Role of youth in environmental enhancement and preservation. Invited Speaker;
First Provincial Student Leadership Congress and Seminar-Workshop held at CatSC Topic: Issues on environment and ecology in the province of Catanduanes. (Feb 18-20). Invited Speaker;
1993. 3rd Provincial Echo-Seminar on “Youth Empowerment for Community Development. Youth Community Service Club, Provincial Council, Catanduanes. (Feb. 19). Speaker;
1987 Seminar on Prawn Culture Techniques, Bicol Regional Fishermen’s Training Center Tabaco, Albay. Topic: Biology of prawns (Penaeidae). Resource Speaker.
2003 38th National Conference of PAGE held at Bacolod Convention Plaza, Bacolod City;
2003. 25th Annual Scientific Meeting. The National Academy of Science and Technology (Philippines), July 9-10, Manila Hotel;
4th National Annual Assembly of the Open Learning and Distance Education. May 16, Makati City, Philippines;
Hawaii International Conference on Education (HICE). January 9-12. Waikiki Hotel. Title of Paper: Developing Meaningful Learning Through Concept Mapping: Cases in the Philippines and Eritrea, NE Africa;
International Conference on Issues & Challenges in Post 9/11 Global Society: The US in Era of Globalization. De La Salle University-Manila, Philippines;
International Workshop on Mangroves and Sustainable Development. University of Vermont, Gund Institute of Ecological Economics Postgraduate Workshop, Palawan, Philippines, Jan. 2-12, 2003. Accepted Participant;
2002 37th Annual National Conference, Philippine Association for Graduate Education., VIP Hotel, Cagayan de Oro City. (February 26-28). Official Participant; 2001 Forum on Strategic Planning-A Vision for the Future held at the Adventist International Institute of Advanced Studies – School of Graduate Studies in Silang, Cavite. (October 29); 4th National Research Forum of Research and Education Training Institute, Inc. held at Benguet State University in La Trinidad, Benguet. (October 24-26). Official Representative of De La Salle University-D; 4th National Higher Education Congress, Manila Midtown Hotel, Manila (May 17-18); 1999 Conference on Lessons from Economic Development: The Taiwan Experience, De La Salle University-M Taft Avenue, Manila. (April 6); 1995 *4th Asian Fisheries Forum in Beijing, China. Title of Paper: Morpho-anatomy and some aspects on the reproductive biology of sand goby;
1995 Seminar-Workshop on “Training of Tutors for Distance Education”. Continuing Education Center, University of the Philippines at Los Banos, Laguna. March 26; 1994 Participant. 29th Annual Biology Teachers Association (BIOTA), Philippines Conference held at Central Mindanao, Philippines (April 7-9); 1993 Official Delegate of the Province of Catanduanes. National Youth Environmental Congress sponsored by the Philippine Youth Commission, Malacanang and DENR, Camiguin Province;
Attendance/Participation in Conferences/Seminars (Local/Institutional)
2007 Seminar on Story Telling. De La Salle University-D, Cavite; 2006 Seminar on Issues and Concerns of Philippine Education System. De La Salle University-D Tanghalang Julian Felipe; Seminar on Achieving Novelty in Research. De La Salle University-D, Cavite; First AHEIR Research Forum. De La Salle University-D, Cavite (Feb. 21); 2005 Seminar on Research Theories. De La Salle University-D MAH Building, GSEAS; Seminar on the Significance of the Law in Governance. Tanghalang Julian Felipe De La Salle University-D (as Moderator); 2004 1st Regional Biology Teachers’ Association of the Philippines Symposium. Mariano Marcos State University (MMSU), Batac, Ilocos Norte; Seminar on The Value of Research, Know your Student Learning Styles, De La Salle University-D Alumni Auditorium; Research Planning Congress. DLSU-D; 2003 Seminar-Workshop on Retooling Thesis and Dissertation Writing. DLSU-D; 1st Regional Seminar-Workshop on Pedagogy, Technology, Synergy (PTECHS 2003). De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines. (January 17-18) (Organizer and Chair, Secretariat); 2002 Seminar on “Policies and Guidelines on Accreditation of Graduate School Programs”. Aklatang Emilio Aguinaldo, De La Salle University-D. (February 9). Organizer/Participant; 2001 E-learning: ICT for Effective Teaching Seminar held at Villarosa Hall, Angelo King Medical Research Center, De La Salle University Health Sciences Campus, Cavite. (November 8); Seminar on Coping Up with the Difficulties in Thesis/Dissertation Writing, Alumni Hall, DLSU-D (August 25). Organizer/Facilitator; PAGE IV-CHED Regional Seminar Workshop, Queen Margaret Court Hotel, Lucena City. (April 19-20). Official De La Salle University-D Representative; Biological Sciences Department Echo Seminar on GMOs, Biodiversity, Solid Waste Management & Environmental Ethics. De La Salle University-D. (March 15); Institutional Faculty Development Programs for SY 2000-2001 on (1) The Legal Responsibilities of Teachers; (2) Emerging Educational Philosophies and Information Technology; and (3) Faculty Members: Onwards to Fulfilling their Social Responsibilities; Echo-Seminar on Learning Styles, Innovative Edge, NFE, 4th National Research Forum, etc. College of Education, De La Salle University-D. November 19, 2001; 2000 Integration of Biodiversity Information Technology in Science Curriculum held at De La Salle University-D. (August 31); Seminar on Qualitative Research. College of Education, De La Salle University-D, Cavite. (August 16); Departmental Echo-Seminar. “Stress Tolerance of Mirogobius lacustris Biological Sciences Department, De La Salle University-D. (February 11); Seminar-Workshop on Re-tooling Action Research. College of Education, De La Salle University-D. (June 5); Departmental Seminar of Biology Department, De La Salle University-D; 1988 Regional Science Fair and Quiz (as Coach). Nov. 14-18, 1988 at Bacacay East Central School, Albay. DECS and DOST;
ACADEMIC AND ADMINISTRATIVE POSTS
Instructor, 1st and 2nd Semester, SY 2010-2011-Catanduanes State Colleges, Virac, Catanduanes. Subjects Taught: Freshwater Biology, Biological Sciences for Non-Science Students
Head of Research and Knowledge Management, March 31, 2011- to the present, – Pacific Island Institute for Pedagogy, Technology, Arts & Sciences, Incorporated. Constantino St., Virac 4800, Catanduanes, Philippines
President, November 2, 2009-March 31, 2011- Pacific Island Institute for Pedagogy, Technology, Arts & Sciences, Incorporated. Constantino St., Virac 4800, Catanduanes, Philippines
Full Professor 3 – June 9, 1999 until June 15, 2009. De La Salle University-D (Verticalization policy). Subjects Taught: Educational Technology, Special Topics in Education, Field Study 3 & 4, Student/Practice Teaching.
Full Professor 3 – Permanent, Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences (GSEAS), De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines. Subjects Taught: BIO 140-Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics (BS Human Biology), NASCI 101-Biological Sciences (BS Education), GREM 300-Philosophical Foundations in Educational Management (Doctor of Education Students-on partial mode distance education), BioResearch (MS Biology).
Full Professor 1 (June 1, 2001 to May 31, 2002), De La Salle University-Dasmariñas Professional Education Department, College of Education. Subjects Taught: GREM 300- Philosophical Foundations (for Doctoral Students), Educ 104-Foundations of Education (for MA and BS in Education), BIOSCI-Biological Sciences (for BS Education Students).
Associate Professor 5 (June 9, 1999 – May 31, 2001), De La Salle University-D, Cavite 4115, Philippines. Biological Science Department, College of Science and Graduate School in Education, Arts and Sciences. Subjects Taught: BS in Biology Courses-Cell Biology & Molecular Genetics Research Methods in Biology, Health Ethics, Health Economics.
Expatriate Teacher of Biology/Lecturer (1997-1998), Ministry of Education, State of Eritrea, Northeast Africa. Subjects Taught: Biology 10 (Human Biology) and Biology 11 (Genetics, Evolution and Ecology).
Assistant Professor 4 in Biology (September 23, 1993- June 13, 1997), Catanduanes State Colleges in Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines. Item No. 145-6, page 11 of GA Act No. 7180. Subjects Taught: Biological Sciences, Zoology, Genetics, Evolution, General Chemistry, Ecology, Botany, Cytology, Scientific Writing, ASEAN Government and Politics).
Tutor of Biology (First Semester, 1995-1996 to Summer, 1996), University of the Philippines OPEN University School of Distance Education for the Diploma in Science Teaching (Biology). Subjects Taught: Bio A (Principles of Bio), Bio B (Morpho-Anatomy), Bio D (Genetics), Bio E (Physiology) and Bio F (Intensive Lab) and Communication Materials Production.
Instructor III and V (July 1, 1986- September 22, 1993), College of Agriculture and Fisheries, Catanduanes State Colleges. Subjects Taught: Zoology, Botany, Ichthyology, Aquaculture, Limnology, Fish Ecology, Fish Diseases, Fisheries Management.
Instructor (October 1, 1984-June 30, 1986). Subjects Taught: Zoology, Botany, Ichthyology, Organic and Analytical Chemistry.
Student Assistant (1983). College of Fisheries Library, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City.
Student Teaching Supervisor, Professional Education Department, College of Education DLSU-D, First Semester, AY 2008-2009.
Assistant Executive Director for University Planning and Development Office (Research Funding), De La Salle University –D (June 1, 2004 to May 31, 2005), Cavite Philippines
Director, Office of Research and Linkages, Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences, De La Salle University- D (June 1, 2003 to May 31, 2004), Cavite Philippines (called CMRLinks)
College President (AY 2001- 2002, 2003-2004 & 2007-2008), San Jose Christian Colleges, Inc. San Jose City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines.
Administrative Assistant (=Assistant Dean) (June 1, 2000-to May 31, 2003), Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences (GSEAS), De La Salle University-D, Cavite.
In−charge, Partial Mode Distance Education Program (PMDE), Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences (GSEAS), De La Salle University-D, Cavite.
Editor-In-Chief (2001- 2004), GSEAS GRADUATE JOURNAL (G2J)- The Journal of Education, Arts and Sciences of De La Salle University-D
Program Coordinator of MS in Biology (June 1, 2000- May 31, 2001), Graduate School of Education Arts and Sciences, De La Salle University-D, Cavite.
Officer In-Charge (=Acting Dean) of the College of Agri−Fisheries (1986-1988) and Project Manager of Aquaculture Projects (1986-1988), Palnab Campus, Catanduanes State Colleges in Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines.
OTHER POSITIONS/DESIGNATIONS HELD [CODE: V.WE3.0]
Organizer, PTECHS (Pedagogy, Technology and Synergy), De La Salle University-D GSEAS.
Chair (2002), Research Center of the Graduate School of Education, Arts and Sciences (GSEAS), De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines.
In-Charge (Summer 2001-2005), Partial Mode Distance Education (PMDE) Program. De La Salle University-D GSEAS.
College Chair (2002), Laboratory Area, PAASCU Accreditation Committee, College of Education, De La Salle University-D.
Chair (School Year 2000-2001), Graduate Studies/Research Committee, College of Science, De La Salle University-D.
Subject Coordinator, Health Ethics (1st Semester) and Health Economics (2nd Semester). De La Salle University-D, College of Science, Biological Science Department (BSD). SY 1999-2000.
Member, College Research Council of the College of Science. De La Salle University-D, 1st t and 2nd Semester, SY 1999-2000.
Special Assignment at the Ministry of Fisheries (Minister Petros Solomon), State of Eritrea Office of the Minister and Research and Training Division (1997).
Chairperson (1996), Committee on Evaluation for Extension and Community Development of Catanduanes State Colleges, Graduate School AACUP Accreditation.
Faculty Researcher, College of Arts and Sciences, Catanduanes State Colleges Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines.
Member, ST2 (Science and Technology Thinkers) for Region V (Bicol Region) Department of Science and Technology.
Facilitator, Training Course on Fish Genetics and its Application to Fishery Management at the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Tropical Biology (SEAMEO-BIOTROP) in Bogor, West Java, Indonesia (Nov. 3- Dec. 10, 1992).
Member, Steering Committee for the Symposium on Coastal Zone Management and Its Application to Aquaculture (Indonesia).
Member, Technical Planning Staff of the Catanduanes State Colleges Planning Office (1988).
COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES/EXTENSION SERVICES
2011 Representative of Pacifictech, Coastal Clean-up Program of Catanduanes; Participated in 1.1.11 Tree Planting Project of Congressman Cesar Sarmiento; 2010 Office of the Mayor, Municipality of Panganiban Seminar on Development of Mud Crab Industry (as Guest Speaker), September 16, 2010; School-Community CHILDMINDS/Young Biodiversity Scouts (YBS); In-charge, Pacifictech Project on Mangrove Biodiversity Conservation Young Biodiversity Scouts (YBS) Trial Program activity in Guinobatan Elementary School; 2009 In-Charge, Pacifictech Public Exhibit and Material Display on Understanding the Biodiversity in Abaca Farms and Mangroves of Catanduanes during the 2009 Catandungan Festival, Virac Youth Center; Community Service Work (Educational Management Services) at the Catanduanes Institute of Technology Foundation, Inc. (CITFI) (April 14-June 8, 2009); 2008 Community/Extension Service Work (Educational Management Services) at the Eulogio ‘Amang’ R. Dizon Colleges in Guimba, Nueva Ecija; Community Work on Organizational Planning for the GPM COBAHAI Multipurpose Cooperative; 2000-2008 Member, Lions International, Las Pinas City District 301A; 2001 Teacher Volunteer of Balik-Aral Program). Awarded by the College of Education, De La Salle University-D, Cavite, Philippines. March 9, 2001; 2002 Adviser, Kapisanan ng Mamamayan ng Patranco, Inc. Himlayan Road, Pasong Tamo, Tandang Sora, Quezon City; Adviser, Kapisanan ng Maralitang Mamayan, Inc. (KAMAMA) PHASE 1, Himlayan Road, Pasong Tamo, Tandang Sora, Quezon City; Consultant/Adviser, Pantranco Youth Movement, Himlayan Road, Pasong Tamo, Tandang Sora, Quezon City; 1988 Certificate of Appreciation. Virac Pilot Child Development Center, Virac Pilot Elementary School. (March 24);
RELIGIOUS, SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT AND ARTISTIC RELATED ACTIVITIES
2011 Adviser & Founder, Sons and Daughters of Sta. Elena/Constantino 31st Kalayaan Santacruzan (KS) and Mayflower Activities (Praying, Playing, Singing and Dancing for Children), May 12-22, 2011;2010 Adviser and Founder, Sons and Daughters of Sta. Elena/Constantino 30th Kalayaan Santacruzan (KS) and Mayflower Activities for Children and Youth, Constantino, Virac, Catanduanes (May 12-21, 2010); Writer, Bicol Peryodiko, Provincial Newspaper of Catanduanes; 2009 In-charge, St. Vincent Ferrerian Programs for Children at Pacifictech, Virac, Catanduanes; 2006 Attended Lassalian Family Seminar. De La Salle University-D, Cavite; 2000 Attended Seminar on Spiritual Formation for Science Faculty held at Gregorio Montoya Hall, De La Salle University-D, Cavite. (November 6); 1999-2008 Member, Signum Fidei, De La Salle University; 1988 Certificate of Commendation. Awarded by the Catanduanes Tribune (CT) as Feature and Column Writer (Dec. 20). (1988); 1987 Certificate of Appreciation. As Lead Actor in “The Vise” (Drama) during the 15th Foundation Day of Catanduanes State Colleges, 6March 1987; 1983-1984 Member, UP Writers’ Club and published some literary articles in the Philippine Collegian;
893total visits,3visits today